Nephrectomy is considered to be a medical term that refers to a specific type of surgical procedure that is carried out to remove the kidney or just a part of this organ. This surgical technique is often referred as nephrectomy surgery. Nephrectomy cost in India is very less, thereby allowing people suffering from kidney issues to treat it and lead a normal life.
Treating kidney issues
The kidney does play a significant role in the human body. Its function is to collect wastes and toxins and remove it from the bloodstream. It is the body’s filtering process and produces urine. However, in many people, the kidney fails to function normally and get compromised due to damage or disease. In such a case, nephrectomy or kidney removal surgery becomes crucial and if performed on time can save precious lives.
Nephrectomy is performed since there may arise different types of issues with the kidney. Some abnormal tissue growth, kidney cancer or kidney failure are cited to be the common problems from which nephrectomy surgery is suggested by the doctors.
Radical or complete nephrectomy will mean complete removal of the kidney. Partial nephrectomy is removal of damaged or diseased part of kidney region. If anyone donates his/her healthy kidney to others, it is termed as donor nephrectomy.
How it is done?
There are two ways by which this surgery is conducted:
- Open Nephrectomy: In this procedure, the surgeon tends to remove the kidney by creating a big incision on the side of the patient’s body. It is considered to be a traditional method used to remove the kidney. Since the incision cut is big, it does take longer recovery period when compared to laparoscopic nephrectomy. Kidney surgery using this specific procedure; however, is an invasive method and does involve the patient to take adequate rest for a good time period.
- Laparoscopic Nephrectomy: Several small incisions are cut by the surgeon. There is attached a tube having camera at its one end that is inserted through the incisions that are made in the patient’s body. The instruments to perform the surgery get placed in others. The camera is used by the surgeon to identify the issue and to guide the surgical movements to remove part of whole of the kidney.
How much kidney tissue is to be removed and the reason for suggesting the surgery is actually what will determine the kind of nephrectomy procedure that will be recommended to the patient to undergo.
The question that is commonly asked by patients is what exactly determines the amount of kidney to be removed. The very first aspect to be taken into consideration is the extent of damage that the kidney has sustained or the amount that has been affected due to some disease. The doctor needs to determine to identify if the issue is with just one kidney or a specific area. Also should be clarified and found out if the other kidney or nearby tissues are affected or not. Accordingly, the procedure and remedial measures are suggested.
To determine severity and current condition of the kidney, there are conducted series of tests, which are given below:
- Computerized Tomography: It is also referred to as CT scanning and employs specialized and advanced x-ray technology to create cross sectional, thin slices of the kidney tissue.
- Ultrasound: Through this device, an image is captured of all the soft tissues which surround the kidney. For this, the device makes use of sound waves.
- MRI: It is known as Magnetic Resonance Imaging and makes use of radio waves and magnetic waves for producing the kidney’s 3D image on the computer.
On conducting and compiling all the data collected from the above tests, the doctor will be in a better position to recommend nephrectomy surgical procedure, as deemed appropriate for the patient.
Anaesthesia is provided to the patient and a catheter is inserted by the surgical team to drain the bladder. Recovery time from this surgery is said to depend upon numerous factors, like the procedure type conducted and the patient’s overall health condition. But on having this surgery, the patient might experience specific post-surgical complications, which may include hypertension (high blood pressure) and chronic kidney disease. With Nephrectomy Cost in India being low, patients can expect a better life.